Monday, November 29, 2010

Art Test

Time really flies, Snow White has attended 9 Art lessons so far. On the 9th lesson, she was asked to recall what she had learnt. Actually, I have asked her the same question for the past weeks and she said that she could not remember a thing! How sad, but is it normal for a child to forget? Snow White never revise her drawing after each lesson as I do not wish to pressurize her. I see Art as an enjoyment and cultivating her creativity at this age.

Teacher's Help
So, she could not draw. The teacher had to guide her again by first asking for her favourite drawings. Then, there were lots of promptings to get her to speak and describe about the drawings. Finally, each picture was drawn on a foolscape paper. From here, Snow White was asked to draw on her own with the teacher's samples serving as a guide. The whole process was too much for her, I have a feeling that she had actually 'swtiched off'. Her face looked so bored througout the 1.5 hours lesson.

This was what she had drawn :

A flamingo.
Can you see the teacher's outlines of the flamingo's head and neck? Snow White tried to imitate as much as possible.


An elephant



An ostrich



A drawing of a girl
Snow White got B+ or B- for her drawings shown above. There will be one more assessment on the 10th lesson. Just wondering about her performance...... 
I managed to get her to paint the following (she was bored at home), she still refused to draw, I just let her colour:


                                            It is a flamingo.


Along the way, I got my second child, Cinderella, to have some fun too:


I drew 2 leaves and a flower, she just happily ignored them and splashed her way through!


Just some thoughts.....
I really appreciate the effort made by the school to test Snow White's skills. It provides me with information about a child's development, her progress, attitudes etc. At the same time, I also hope that such test will not dampen my child's spirits. She was very enthusiastic when I enrolled her for Art lessons and she enjoyed every lesson that she attended until this one. I did not reveal the grades to her as I felt that they were not important. I hope Snow White would continue to learn and thrive in her own special way. She did not express giving up drawing and colouring, for which, I am really glad. Think I just have to encourage and praise her. After the 10th lesson, she will progress to the next stage of drawing and colouring.
I have to excite her a bit and tell her that she is capable.