Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Art Is Around Us!

Paper Bag
I found a very interesting bag in my house. I believe kids will love it because it is so cute and adorable. Wonder if you agree with me. Take a look :


Isn't the bag cute? (sorry, I did not rotate the picture )


The side view. (Did not rotate picture again!)
 Of course, Snow White loved the bag and the chocolates in the bag too. I did not throw away the bag, still have it in my store room. I am thinking of creating one such bag with Snow White  much later because it involves a fair bit of cutting. The following is how I can do it:
  • Get a paper bag ready, a small one will do.
  • Next draw a picture , colour  and decorate it. Have to do double , one for each side of the bag. For a start, I think it is easier to start off with pictures on animals or food (like a big hamburger)
  • Cut out both the pictures. Paste each of them onto a hard cardboard. (We can use the backing of the drawing block etc) Then cut out the cardboard with the picture pasted on it.
  • Finally, stick the 2 cardboard pictures on each side of the bag.  Done!
Sounds pretty easy, I think this craft may be more suited for 9 years old children. I like this idea very much because we do not need to spend much money as we are using recycled bags, cardboards etc. It is ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY!



Paper Boat
I also found a few crumbled paper boats in my living room !Obviously, my kids had crushed them after getting tired of playing with them for a day. My domestic helper had made them for my kids and they reminded me of my childhood. I have seen my neighbours playing and letting the boats drift down the drains. I did try making one, but it was a flat one . My helper made a standing boat! I was impressed and asked her to show me how to create. She used a page from the magazine, so the boat turned out to be colourful and when I placed it in my baby's bath tub, it did not sink. I felt so satisfied. As for my own kids, I think I will teach them at a later stage. Right now, I will make for them if they want.

I have taken pictures on how to make the boat, but some do not have the explanations, just try and imagine if you are attempting.

Take a page from a magazine. Fold it into half.

Bring down the 2 corners to form the triangles. Then fold up the bottom.
                                         
Flip over and fold up the bottom too. 
                                         

Open the bottom as shown.

                                                                      Flatten it.
                                          

                                          Open it up. I find this step to be the most difficult. (If anyone has a clearer    image/direction, please offer your help.)


                                         The standing boat!


This art of paper folding is known as origami. I have tried making paper balls as a child but have forgotten how to fold them now. There are websites available that teach origami, some can be really easy, but to make cute paper figures/animals---the steps are numerous and often, I find it tough to follow it.