Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Developing A Child's Creativity In Art

How I Develop My Children's Interest and Curosity in Art
In the process of developing my kids’ artistic skills, I try my best to expose them to various art forms. Going to museums is one good idea. So far, I took my kids for one such visit only. On that day, the museum was very crowded because admission was free. On other days, we have to pay for entrance fees. We walked around the place, pointing out the old artefacts, figurines and how attractively they were put up for viewing. It will be good to ask them for their views of the things they see, but I did not do it simply because I forgot to, and I was busy looking through the exhibits too. I did not want to miss out anything, (let me tell you, my first trip to the museum was when I was 8 years old,  30 years later, I made my second trip with my kids!)   I do not know if my kids know much as we pointed all these to them, they seemed to enjoy the trip.

Sadly to say, one trip is not enough. Our weekends are always filled with activities, we do not have time to bring them to museums again. Still I try to bring them out during one school holiday per year.(That’s my goal) What I do nowadays is to keep a look out for artistic things around us when we go out shopping, travelling on the bus, walking in gardens etc. In other words, if I happen to see a sculpture, I will tell her what the figure symbolises, ask my kids to imagine what the artist do to bring out his/her ideas. What shapes did the artist use? If I come across a fountain, I would ask my kids to look at the sprays (tell them it is like their drawings of lines-straight, curved, zig-zag etc).Then I took a picture of our family in front of the fountain for remembrance. During National Day and Chinese New Year celebrations, we would bring the kids out at night to a park (near where the celebrations were taking place). There, we would enjoy the fireworks! The arrays of colours are so fascinating! The fireworks are forever so captivating . Here, we can teach the kids constrasting colours against the dark sky.  In such a manner, I try to spark my kids’ imagination, bring out their creativity and develop a passion for Art and appreciating the things around them. I may not be seeing any results now, hopefully, as the years go by, she will develop to become a little artist