Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Art Schools

Importance of Art Schools
As mentioned previously, I sent Snow White to a few trial Art lessons which she did not enjoy. I still believe that proper Art lessons are important :
·         where kids can acquire the right artistic knowledge and concepts.
·         They can draw inspirations from the teacher who will guide and develop them and let the children experience different forms of Art (which I may not be capable of producing as effectively for them).
·         Moreover, my kids will be learning in a place where all share the same interest and passion in Art, they can exchange ideas.
·         The kids are engaged in active thinking, forcing him/her to reason and act accordingly what is best suitable in a given situation.   
After saying all this, I did not mean that what I did with her at home was useless, these home based Art lessons serve to enhance her love for Art.

Hunting For Art School
Now back to hunting for a school for Snow White…..When looking out for a suitable school, you may want to check on the teacher’s  qualifications, teaching styles, the content being taught, the duration, any provision of art materials (or do I need to source materials for my kids?), individual attention or group teaching ?... etc. After finding a suitable school and having started lessons, perhaps and very important too, observe and ask ourselves : Can the teacher connect with my kid? Is the teacher nurturing such that my kid looks forward to the lesson every session?   

The Start Of Proper Coaching…
After 2 months of searching, I found an Art school and enrolled her for the junior Art lessons once per week, 1.5hours for each session. I did not need to prepare anything for everything was provided by the school. It is a small group teaching, so far she had attended 6 lessons. The first lesson was drawing a flamingo, the teacher would show pictures, talk a little about the animals and the shapes. From there, the pupils would draw. Next, they talked about colouring and guided the pupils in using the brush and paint.  Snow White produced quite a decent piece. Subsequent lessons, she was drawing owls, elephants, a girl, a boy etc. Most importantly, she enjoys the lessons.

A Little Evaluation
I heard that by the end of the 10 lessons, the school will give them a little test to see if they remember their skills learned. It is the school’s way of evaluating their pupils. It is done in quite an interesting manner. Each pupil will be asked to draw on a given canvas , (topic will be released only on that test date) so that it can be brought home to be hung or displayed. Can’t wait to see what my kid will draw.  Actually I am more excited by the idea of getting the canvas home than what she is going to draw. Just imagine how proud my child will feel with her piece of Art work being hung on the wall, it can really boast her confidence!